Friday 16 December 2011

The big "Three OOOHHHHHHHHH"

I have a chunk of my set that I have been doing for the past 7 months that says “So I am 30 at the end of this year”. I quite like the material and have been doing it in the blissful ignorance that with each passing month, the big 30 creeps closer, like impending doom. I am 30 next week. A week today I will be celebrating my 30th birthday. That came round pretty quick, for me anyway.

A lot of people have been saying stuff like “Oh don’t worry, you don’t LOOK 30!” or “Hey, don’t worry! 30 isn’t so bad!”

The thing is – weirdly I am not worried. I have been waiting for the big “30 truck” to career into me at full force like a spaceship full of Bridget Jones’ or a tractor full of Kirsty Allsops but so far: Nothing. Not even a HINT of home crafts or magic knickers! I actually feel quite excited about my birthday. I think this may be down to a couple of things:

Firstly, as my birthday is the day before Xmas eve, I decided to have a big party to celebrate last month. Nobody is EVER around at Xmas and by having the party in November meant more people came and generally everything was easier with regard travel etc. The party was brilliant fun and I got to spend some quality time (despite being shitfaced for most of it) with my besties!

Secondly, I feel quite content with my life. I have achieved quite a lot of the things I had hoped to had achieved by the time I was 30 so I feel quite happy that there is nothing that I secretly desired to be doing that I haven’t already tried or aren’t already having a crack at. I enjoy my job, I have great friends and family, a wonderfully supportive boyfriend, I love writing comedy and doing stand up. Life is pretty good at the mo! I feel good about turning 30 as I feel content that I am doing all the things I like doing right now!

A wise old friend once told me not to “settle” for anything. A nice house. A mediocre job. Getting by. I feel quite good that I don’t think I have “settled” for anything. I have worked hard to get where I am. I have a degree. I live in beautiful place and commute into the hustle and bustle of the city. I have a hugely rewarding job and I am writing and performing comedy.

And I am loved and in love - something that I think often gets overlooked or taken for granted.

So, in summary, I think I am quite happy about the fast approaching 30. Looking forward to it, even. Here is to 2012 being as brilliant as 2011 has been for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment